What is the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL)?
- What is the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL)
- A brief essay introducing SoTL
- The Scholarship of Teaching and Learning: A Discussion
- A podcast discussion (< click to play/download) between David Voelker and Regan A. R. Gurung on SoTL, with emphasis on the need for both humanistic and social scientific methodologies. (Recorded Feb. 8, 2013)
- Understanding the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (interview)
- SoTL–Wisconsin Style
Resources for Getting Started with SoTL
Note: These documents are part of a resource packet that I use in my four-to-five hour workshop that I have developed to introduce higher educators to SoTL.
- Developing a SoTL Project Based on a Learning Problem: A Step-by-Step Guide
- Use this guide, in conjunction with the templates below, to develop a SoTL research question.
- Templates for Analyzing Learning Problems
- Use these templates to identify learning problems that you might study via a SoTL project.
- Engaging with the Literature on Teaching and Learning
- Use this annotated bibliography to find the resources you need to situate your SoTL project within the literature on teaching and learning.
SoTL and the Institutional Review Board (IRB)
- Navigating the Institutional Review Board (IRB) Process
- Sample IRB Protocols
Links to SoTL Resources
- The Pedagogical Pundit (by Professor Regan Gurung)
- SoTL Guide (Taylor Institute for Teaching and Learning, University of Calgary; developed by former OPID WTF&S co-director, Nancy Chick)
- SoTL Leadership Site at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
- TLI: Teaching & Learning Inquiry (Open-access, online journal)
- Wisconsin Teaching Fellows & Scholars Program Assessment Project: Final Report, by David Voelker and Ryan Martin, August 15, 2013
Note: The document resources posted here are licensed by David J. Voelker under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License. As noted on each document, they can be shared freely, if attributed and copied without alteration, for non-commercial purposes.